Tools Used In My Daily Translation Activities
Computer Assisted Translation Tools
These tools are not to be confused with Machine Translations. These tools help translators in their daily work by recycling content that has already been translated, and also help freelancers handle all sorts of formats.
SDL Trados 2007/2009, Wordfast, Translator Studio, SDLX
Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Maxthon, Opera and Safari with many useful translation and and SEO related plug-ins
Microsoft Office 2007, Windows 7, Dreamweaver CS4, Fireworks, Abby Fine Reader and Nitro PDF for Word<>PDF conversions
Website Download Tools
PCTools Antivirus and Avira Antivir
Also, if you have been working as a translator for several years and feel you could use some extra useful information to be able to manage more formats and would like to use Microsoft Word to its full potential, I highly recommend that you purchase this incredible e-book which gives plenty of tips and tricks to tag your documents to better process them in Trados. A must-have for translators!
Other Helpful Tools and Websites for Translators
I find Babylon particularly useful to look up a word translation quickly, get some context and Wikipedia sources.
- Acronym Finder – Find out what over 310,000 acronyms & abbreviations stand for
- Le Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique
- Linguee – Very valuable sources of bilingual documents
- Your Dictionary
- English-French Dictionnary by Larousse
- Microsoft Online Glossaries
- All sorts of languages links and dictionaries
- Collection of searchable dictionaries
- Collins Dictionary – NEW